Deep Chemical Peel
Deep Chemical Peels is the deepest chemical peel available for skin resurfacing. Deep chemical peels not only cause exfoliation of the outer epidermis, but also penetrate into the top layers of the dermis. In so doing, deep chemical peels set off a reaction in the skin to reorganize and make new collagen, adding to the collagen-elastic matrix layer. The new skin is fresher, smoother and tighter. At Orange County Surgical Specialists, Dr. Bolourian believes in the tried-and-true results of TCA Chemical Peels. With a 35% Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) chemical peel, expect the recovery process to take at least a week. Makeup can usually be applied by the 7th day, when normal activity can also be resumed. Results will typically last for 12–24 months. The TCA Peel will produce a significant reaction over the skin and, in turn, will produce a tremendous result. This peel is one of the most effective deep chemical peels available.
Face, Neck, Chest
You should expect peeling, redness, swelling and brown crispy skin and occasional swelling. Specific skin care product protocol is necessary for optimum results.
A Deep Chemical Peel consists of 35% TCA (Trichloroacetic Acid). This peel is done by our board certified cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Reza Bolourian. TCA is among the most effective chemical peels available. Patients can expect to see softer lines and wrinkles, healthier, glowing skin, and better tone and texture. There is also a small degree of tightening with a TCA peel.
Why Choose a deep chemical peel?
We all have our own comfort level on skin care. Some patients will start early and have procedures to prevent the need to more invasive procedures later on, other patients want a significant result and can take down-time to achieve this. Some patients view chemical peels as a progressive treatment, they will start with a Light peel and work themselves up to a deep chemical peel over the years. During your consultation appointment, Dr. Bolourian will listen to your concerns and assist you in choosing the best chemical peel for you and your lifestyle.
What can deep chemical peels treat?
There are various levels of chemical peels. A deep chemical peel with TCA 35% can treat conditions such as static wrinkles, pigmentations, superficial scars and most certainly improvements in skin tone.
TCA Chemical Peel Instructions:
This information will thoroughly prepare you for what to expect before, during and after your TCA Chemical Peel. Our purpose is to make your experience as pleasant as possible. If you have any questions or concerns after reviewing this information, please bring them to our attention.
Patient Responsibility Regarding Illnesses
An unexpected illness, skin rash or Cold Sore may necessitate canceling or rescheduling your peel. Changes in your health (any new rashes such as poison ivy, upper respiratory infection, sinus infections, new allergy diagnosis, or other surgeries, cold sores, fever, pregnancy) should be reported to us as soon as possible. It is best to avoid behaviors that could increase your risk of exposure to illness or infections, particularly poison ivy. In most cases, when informed quickly, medication may be prescribed which can prevent cancelation of your peel.
Before Your Peel:
- YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE- Tretinoin Cream, a gentle cleanser and Aquaphor
- AT LEAST TEN DAYS BEFORE PEEL- Begin using your Tretinoin product.
- TWO DAYS BEFORE PEEL- Stop using your Tretinoin Cream and all prescribed facial creams. Do not resume use until instructed to do so.
- THREE DAYS BEFORE PEEL- If the area to be peeled includes around the mouth, you will be started on Zovirax (anti-viral medication) three days before the peel and will continue Zovirax for at least a week following the peel. This minimizes the risk of developing cold sores/fever blisters. It is important to contact the office immediately both before and after your procedure if you develop unusual tingling of your lip or the early stages of a cold sore.
- MORNING Of Peel- Wash face thoroughly- do not apply any product
After Your Peel:
- Prior to leaving the office, Aquaphor will be generously applied.
- You may experience a feeling similar to severe sunburn in the treated area for several hours or more after the procedure, depending on extent of treatment. You may also experience some swelling and/or a throbbing sensation within the first 24 hours. These side effects may be diminished by gently splashing the skin with cool water 5-6 times a day. Or you may use a cool compress, intermittently.
- Apply Aquaphor 4-5 times a day. If you are going out of the house during the healing period, your own facial moisturizer will suffice, but apply the Aquaphor upon your return.
- There will be redness to the skin on the peeled areas for 24-48 hours following which the skin may darken and appear wrinkled. Small blisters may occur. On the third or fourth day, the skin will flake and shed itself.
- Wash your face twice a day by using the Gentle Cleanser; lather in your hand and use fingertips to gently cleanse the face. Rinse with lukewarm water and gently pat dry.
- NO picking, rubbing, or unnecessary touching of the face; this can cause scarring.
- Please call the office immediately if you suspect a cold sore is developing before or after the procedure.
- The average TCA peel may take 5-7 days to heal. At the completion of the healing, the skin may be faintly pink and blotchy, which will usually fade over a 3-5 day period.
UV EXPOSURE- Protection from sunlight is absolutely essential for six months after the procedure. The first two months are the most critical. It is important that you commit to staying out of the sun. Splotchy pigmentation may result if sun exposure is not limited. Using a quality sunscreen with SPF of at least 30 and containing both UVA and UVB protection daily, wearing a brimmed hat, and using sunglasses are essential.
There are some treatments that result in a longer healing period. These treatments have normal and expected side effects. These are NOT complications. Healing and recovery are unique to each person. You should expect dryness, flaking redness, swelling, itching, bruising and browning.
Dr. Bolourian has developed a healing protocol that begins before your treatment. Prior to any treatment we will prep your tissue with prescriptions that are proven to speed healing, reduce side effect and promote your best result. These prescriptions will be resumed post treatment as directed.